Table of Contents


Fast Facts about the Branch

Surveyed: 1919
Work started: 1919
Opened: 7th June 1920
Closed: 28th February, 1974



The Pikedale Soldier’s Settlement was one of the soldier resettlement schemes after World War I. It resulted in opening up a farming area on the Granite Belt in the Amiens district. From this and the necessity to transport fruit to markets, came the building of the Pikedale (Amiens) railway.

In 1919 surveys were carried out for a rail line connecting the Southern line and Amiens Settlement. Four proposals were investigated and surveyed – from Dalveen, Cottonvale, Stanthorpe and Passmore. Cottonvale was the most direct route and was therefore adopted and construction of the line using 41 lb. rails commenced in June 1919.

Through no engineering feats were required, it was a year before the 12 mile railway was opened on 7th June 1920.

In the interim a rail tractor powered by a 35 h.p. Napier petrol engine was built on a wagon frame at Ipswich Workshops. This was “Rail Motor No.26”, in fact an early attempt to build a successful internal combustion locomotive, and not a rail motor at all. It ran trials on the line shortly afterwards hauling wagons, but the grades proved too much for it and it could not therefore be regarded as a success. The rail tractor was returned to Ipswich and steam engines took over the work.

Because of the light rails and earth ballast, the maximum speed was 15 m.p.h. (24 km/h). For a few years minerals and wool were railed, but fruit was the principal freight conveyed.

Soon after this line was opened, a Royal Train conveying the Prince of Wales detoured from the main line for a short visit to Amiens. The date was the 26th July 1920 and the train was pulled by a B13 class engine, which ran out chimney first, preceded by a B13 Pilot engine tender first. For the return trip, the engines changed over, giving the Prince a chimney first trip both ways!


List of sidings between Cottonvale and Amiens

Many of the orchardists and farmers in the district were returned soldiers, and all the stations were named after World War I battles in which Australians fought.

Most of the sidings had a little waiting shed and a loop siding. All stations were unattended except Amiens.

Location Miles Chains Feet above sea level
Things of note
Fleurbaix 2 20 3004
Pozieres 4 7 3103 This siding was the highest portion of railway line in Queensland. A small village lies opposite to this siding. There was a shed, a loading bank and a large open sided loading shed. Freezing rooms were located at the west end of the loop.
Bullecourt 5 77 3012 Near this siding is an interesting formation of granite.
Passchendaele 7 72 3025
Bapaume 9 12 3056 Was on a slight curve and had a log loading bank in front of a galvanized iron storage shed.
Messines 10 50 2931
Ameins 12 25 2842 2842 – Was a little larger than some of the other sidings. The only additional siding beside the loop was a dead end siding. A station building was provided and a small goods shed. During the fruit season a station mistress was in charge.


Description of the line

This was a light railway some 12 miles (19 km) long, branching off the Southern line at Cottonvale, on which for economy the Government proposed to operate rail tractors powered by in internal combustion motors, a proposal, which almost came into being.

The line was built cheaply and run cheaply, the line was a simply a means of getting fruit to the main line for attaching to fruit trains heading to Brisbane. For several years the line was restricted to small steam engines such as the B13 class, but as time went by the C17 class engines eventually took over, and were eventually taken over themselves in 1967 by the 60 ton diesels.

Only during fruit seasons did trains run on other days. To assist loading of the fruit, porters would travel on the train and the fruit would normally be loaded direct from the farmer’s lorry to the rail wagon. The wagons would be detached on arrival at Cottonvale and be picked up within a short time by a through Brisbane bound fruit or goods train.

Before this branch line had been built, the station called The Summit (between Cottonvale and Stanthorpe) was the highest section of railway line in Queensland being 3035 feet. After the building of this branch line, the sidings of Pozieres became the highest at 3103 feet and Bapaume was second highest 3056 feet.

This line was not built for passenger services. Though several ridges are crossed, there are no significant earthworks, and the track is not ballasted. The line runs west for half its length, then turns southwest.


Train services and working

Signalling on the line is practically non-existent as normally there was only one train on the branch at a time. The safeworking was by Ordinary staff and ticket in one section from Cottonvale to Amiens.

The through load for a C17 in the steam days was 220 tons each way.


Closure of the line

The Branch Line Railway from Cottonvale to Amiens was closed to public traffic on and from 28th February, 1974.

Table of Contents


Fast Facts about the Branch

Surveyed: 1884 (Hendon – Allora), 1907-1910 (Allora – Goomburra)
Work started: 1895, 2nd October 1911
Opened: 21st April 1897, 23rd April 1912
Closed: Mothballed 1995, 30th June 1961
Status: Line is currently Closed.



In 1859 the district received its name from the aboriginal word “gnallora,” meaning a waterhole, the “gn” was removed from the name leaving “Allora”.

After the first land sale in 1861, a blacksmith, General merchandise store, general store and a butcher soon began business. Cobb and Co. established a staging station and a small school were opened.

Before the railway was introduced to Allora, there was daily Royal Mail Coach Service between Warwick and the town. It departed Warwick at 5 a.m., and returning every evening at 10.15 p.m. It was also a stopping place for the Royal Mail Coach between Brisbane and Warwick.

In 1869, the railway authorities were exploring the usability of coal that was discovered at Allora. They had used two tons and were asking for two more. It had been used at the Ipswich workshops, and as fuel for the engine in one trip from Ipswich to Dalby. Allora Coal has been pronounced by some to be superior to the best Newcastle coal. No arrangements had yet been made for working the mine but by 1875 two coal mines had been opened between Allora and Hendon. The coal was more suitable for gas production than for coking.

(Warwick Argustus) Saturday, November 13, 1869 – (E&T) – The Coal at Allora. The shaft at Allora is 40 feet deep, and the seam is 3 ft, 6 in thick. The miners opinion that if the shaft was sunk about 40 ft deeper a much thicker and a more valuable seam would be discovered.

The residences of Allora were not pleased when the railway to Warwick bypassed their town by some 6 km to the west in 1871. They had naturally assumed that Allora would be the main intermediate station on the new line. Despite this early setback the local settlers commenced to agitate for a branch line connecting this prosperous agricultural centre with the main line rail head at Hendon. Because of the nature of the black soil country separating the town from the railhead, access was difficult after heavy rain, and the movement of the seasonal grain harvest was often seriously hampered.

During 1874 the construction of a tramway from Hendon to Allora was proposed to the Legislative Committee. It estimated that £3000 was required to defray that expense of this construction. However in 1881, a branch line from Hendon to Allora was suggested and the line was first surveyed in July 1884.

On March 24, 1885, the Warwick Argustus reported that “That the Allora people have declined the tramway with thanks, and have surrendered their claim to a line from Hendon to junction with the via recta at Ross’ Corner.”

On Thursday, October 11, 1888 The Minister for Railways was presented with a petition bearing 250 signatures asking for construction of a branch railway from Hendon to Allora, a distance of between three and four miles. A survey was made some years ago by Mr. Phillips, who estimated then that the cost would be about £6000. The deputation thought it might be estimated at £6,500, including station buildings at Allora. The Minister was reminded of what he was able to see on his recent visit, and also of the fact that Mr. Miles had promised assistance to build a tramway.

Despite steady lobbying, Allora had to wait over two decades before a concrete proposal emerged. Little enthusiasm was held in government circles for the financial prospects of such a short branch line and when the proposal was finally approved in 1895, “guarantee railway” provisions were enacted to ensure the new line met working expenses.

The new line was 3 miles 22 chains in length. There was only one siding, at two miles from Hendon. It was intended to have an engine with carriages and goods van stationed at Allora to work the traffic on the branch. There were to be two trains each way daily.

(Warwick Argustus) Wedneday, April 21, 1897 – The little branch opened for business, the principal contractors, A. Overend and Company, having completed the section for the princely sum of £5,256 ($10,512). The first mixed train trundled down the light track to make the first of many connections with the main line. The contract for the construction of the Allora Station House, platform and Goods Shed was awarded to J. Garget.



The time-table was as follows:

Stations a.m. p.m. Stations a.m. p.m.
Allora dep 11.0 2.55 Hendon 11.45 3.40
Hendon arr 11.15 3.10 Allora 12.0 3.55

Allora trains connected with the morning trains from the Border to Brisbane and from Toowoomba to Warwick, and also with the mail train from Sydney to Brisbane. The following rates and fares were charged for traffic sent over the branch, viz:

M, A, and B Classes, per ton…… 1s 8d
Other Classes, per ton …… 2s 6d

Four-wheeled Wagons, each 2s 6d
Six-wheeled Wagons, each 5s 0d
Eight-wheeled Wagons, each 6s 0d

1st Class – Single, 9d; Return, 1s 2d
2nd Class – Single, 6d; Return, 0s 9d


The Goomburra extension

A decade later, up the fertile valley of Dalrymple Creek beyond Allora, the large pastoral holding “Goomburra” was repurchased by the Government to enable subdivision and disposal to new settlers. The country was particularly well suited to cereal cropping and dairying, and prospects for closer settlement were encouraging indeed.

To foster development of the area, proposals were aired for a branch line extension of the Allora line for some eight miles up the valley. Besides, encouraging growth within the closer settlement area, it was envisage by some that the new line would ultimately be extended to the new Maryvale line in the next valley over the thence via the direct line proposal over the main range to the Fassifern line and Ipswich.

To avoid costly resumptions and disruption in the main town area, the new line was surveyed from the Hendon end of Allora station by way of Darling Street to the town’s eastern outskirts. Despite proposals to relocate the passenger station to the new line, the station at Allora was retained in its original position, necessitating back shunt movements to gain access to and from the new branch. As a further cost cutting measure, ballast was dispensed with and the new track was packed with earth.

The branch line from Allora to Goomburra was officially opened on Friday 23rd August 1912. For this occasion, special trains were run, both from Toowoomba and Warwick, and carried large contingents of passengers from all wayside stations. “

The newspaper of the day says:

“A good proportion of the population of Allora joined the train here – 12 fully laden coaches finally setting out for the run along the magnificent valley, which was looking its best in its garniture of early spring verdure. Unfortunately for all concerned, the heavy train proved too much for the engine on the steep pinch between Kital and Berat, and a double trip to Berat was necessary. So great was the weight of its crowded human freight, that twice on the journey the powerful engine refused its task on the pinches, and as many times the train had to be split in half and hauled along in sections. However, it was a glorious day and a holiday and, despite these delays, Goomburra was reached in good time.”

The opening of the rail link revolutionized life at Goomburra, bringing a daily mail service and a regular shopping link. On Christmas Eve a special train was run from Goomburra to Allora and it was quite a social occasion.

The ceremony of the district was also boosted by the rail link. The timber stands at the top of Goomburra were more easily exploited as the logs were brought to Goomburra Railhead by bullock team and railed to Sharpe’s Mill in Allora. It also resulted in an extension of dairying, as the cream was railed to the Allora Butter Factory. Many thousands of bags of wheat added to the freight railed away.


Stations built on the line

The following names were adopted for the stations at the under mentioned mileages on the Hendon – Allora, Allora – Goomburra line:

Location Miles Chains Feet above sea level
Hendon 0 0 1,506
Kates Siding 2 ? ?
Allora 3 49 1,539
Kital 6 32 1,568
Berat 8 21 1,654
Kunda 9 74 1,688
Goomburra 12 0 1,694


Description of the line

Laid with 41 lb (19kg) rails in earth and cinder ballast, the branch track was maintained by a single fettling gang based at Allora. For much of the route, the line was unfenced from parallel public roads, and the progress of trains was often slowed by stock grazing on the track. Washaways and gullying often occurred after heavy downpours when black soil from adjacent paddocks would wash onto the tracks. Damage was usually minimal however, and services were rarely disrupted for long.

From Hendon, the line diverged by a triangular junction at the Toowoomba end and passed by the fettler’s cottages and through a patch of poplar box trees before emerging into the wheat paddocks of the Dalrymple Creek valley.

At a motley collection of farm buildings, the line curved to the north, joining the Warwick-Allora back road just south of Kates. With the buildings of Allora clearly in sight, the road was followed, then crossed on the level before the branch’s principle engineering feature, a ten span timber trestle bridge over a black soil gully, was negotiated. Then came Allora’s fixed Distant signal, a level crossing by the butter factory and an ‘S’ curve snaking past the factory and a fuel depot into the station yard. The Distant signal was intended as a warning, as it was necessary for Goomburra trains to back in and out of the station at Allora, at times fouling the Home signal. Allora was the only town of any note served by the line, the population of 900 persons having decreased somewhat in recent years.

Swinging off the main line at the Hendon end of the yard, the Goomburra line struck east along the southern side of a town street. The residence in this part of the town were well used to the sight of a PB15 running along beside the grassy footpath on the twice weekly trip to Goomburra, and cars were parked accordingly. At the eastern end of the street, the New England Highway was joined and followed past the town showground before the paths crossed at an unpretentious open level crossing.

The highway here headed south, with the railway striking east through the wheat paddocks towards the distant peaks of the Great Divide.

Kital was a small shed in the black soil paddocks at an unsealed road crossing, beyond which a short climb ensued at 1 in 44, leading the tracks around a farm on a hill to join the Allora-Goomburra road. This steep inch, although responsible for the downfall of the first train, fell with the loaded wheat trains from Berat and Goomburra and was of little inconvenience, particularly to the little trains of latter years. The line was unfenced from the road the short distance into Berat, comprising the wheat shed, railway station and ganger’s house (which also housed the postal agency and P.M.G. exchange until 1963). A school was located down the valley towards Dalrymple Creek, but closed in 1944.

East of Berat, the Goomburra road was followed as a range of dry hills covered in mountain coolibah and ribbon gum closed in to the south. At one point, the line passed between the road and the front fence of a delightful old ramshackle farmhouse, it’s unpainted walls and fence covered in cactus, flowering creepers and bougainvillea. Just beyond this house was Kunda, a small shed at the base of a dry hill serving nothing in particular. The line’s second bridge of any note was crossed here, a nine span trestle fording a small heavily eroding gully. Another short pinch steepening to a 1 in 40 ensued as the line and road veered around the base of a forested hill passing the site of a ballast pit excavated to supply material during the line’s construction. Once around the hill, the wheat shed at Goomburra loomed in the distance with the pale blue jagged peaks of the Great Divide as a backdrop. The terminus was just short of the village, which comprised a church, hall, school and several houses clustered around the intersection of the two roads leading further up the valley and the road at Gladfield in the next valley over.


Train services and working

Until April 1956, when the branch engine based at Allora was withdrawn, the line enjoyed an extensive train service, particularly on the Hendon leg. Prior to about 1924, the engine and branch crew were based at Goomburra, and worked one daily trip to and from Hendon, and two other daily trips between the junction and Allora. These trips connected with the Wallangarra mail trains and sundry mixed and goods trains on the main line. Although each was technically termed a mixed train, they were in times of low traffic merely engine and van trips catering for passengers, luggage, parcels and light consignments.

In 1924, the engine and crew were transferred from Goomburra to Allora, the service beyond Allora being subsequently reduced to Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The branch engine also squeezed into its hectic day the occasional banking duty assisting a main line train up the demanding Toolburra bank into Hendon.

By 1954, the service between Allora and Hendon had degenerated to a goods train with passenger accommodation only on a daily basis Monday to Saturday, and the branch engine was spending more time in its role as Hendon banker. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, the engine would run to Goomburra in the morning on the goods train, conveying empty cream cans for distribution at Kital, Berat, Kunda and Goomburra. On the return trip to Hendon, cream was loaded in the cream wagons, which were detached into the butter factory on arrival at Allora, where the crew and engine would retire for a well earned rest. On the off days, when the train did not work out to Goomburra, a single return working to Hendon departing in the morning and leaving for Allora in the afternoon was the norm. Hendon in those days was a lively location, with the branch engine shunting its goods train in the yard while main line goods and mail trains trundled through.

In 1956, this all came to an end when the small out depot of Allora closed and the engine and crew were transferred elsewhere. From Goomburra the line was worked from Warwick based engine and crews, the new train service comprising a return goods train with passenger accommodation to Goomburra on Mondays and Thursdays, and a return run to Allora on Wednesday (also with passenger accommodation and subject to cancellation). During the wheat season, the tri weekly service was augmented by specials, though these mainly terminated at Allora. In 1959, the service to Goomburra was restored for a short time to Monday, Wednesday, Friday running, but this reverted to twice weekly (Monday, Thursday) frequency in 1960.

After the closure of the Goomburra line in 1961, the truncated branch to Allora was served by a twice weekly goods train, at first on Mondays and Wednesdays. Usually worked as a diversion of the Warwick-Toowoomba pick-up train, the Allora train running days were amended on a number of occasions. In 1984, the branch train service was reduced to weekly frequency (Thursday only). With off season loading almost non existent, the operation of train services into Allora on a regular basis would seem to be somewhat unwarranted and pruning of this remaining service was highly likely.

Prior to 1961, PB15s and B15s were the main engine used on the branch. Following strengthening of the 10 span bridge between Hendon and Allora, main line engines were permitted to work the branch, diesels being introduced in 1966. In 1970, the operation of trains without the brake van in rear was permitted; the weekly goods train usually towed back to Hendon after running up to Allora in the usual order. Grain specials continued to run during the season, commonly from Toowoomba running to and from the branch via the northern leg of the Hendon fork line. At times, main line trains work a switch trip to Allora to clear the silo. When the wheat is moving, things can be quite hectic, as evidenced by the activity on Thursday, 17th September, 1981, when two special grain trains operated into Allora in addition to the regular goods train.

Up until the closure of the Goomburra extension, the line was worked as two ordinary sections as follows:

Hendon – Allora
Allora – Goomburra

Nothing fancy was provided in the way of signaling. Allora being protected by a fixed Up Distant signal and Up Home signal, with a Down Home signal on the Goomburra branch. Goomburra had no signals whatsoever.


Closure of the line

Following the construction of the direct highway through Cunningham’s Gap in the 1930s, the effects of road competition were felt in the Allora district rather early in the piece. By the new road, Allora was brought within 160 km of Brisbane, about fifty miles less than the corresponding distance by rail. Goomburra was even more seriously placed, and traffic slowly leaked away towards other transport modes. The crunch came on 30th June, 1961, when the train service ceased altogether beyond Allora. Local road carriers quickly took over the cream transport and the branch rails languished in the weeds and grass until they were removed in late 1961. You can still make out the alignment, but no rail infrastructure remains.

Following this closure, the Goomburra settlement has declined even further, with the destruction of the school by fire in 1971 and closure of the postal agency in 1981.

The Hendon to Allora section remained open until 1995 when it was mothballed by Queensland Rail. In Christmas 2010, the bridge outside Allora has the approaches washed away by flood waters. Since this time no work has been completed on the line and the future remains uncertain.


More Images

Table of Contents

Fast facts about the Branch

Opened: Killarney Junction – Emu Vale 2nd June, 1884.
Opened: Emu Vale to Killarney 24th August, 1885.
Closed: Killarney Junction – Killarney 1st May, 1964.


1879, JULY 31 – £50,000 is set aside for the construction of the branch line.
1880, JUNE 5 – Government decides to proceed with trial survey.
1880, JULY 17 – Surveyor N. Amos started the survey of the line.

The railway line opened from Killarney Junction (near Warwick) to Emu Vale on 2nd June 1884. The section of line was laid with 42 lb rails.

On JUNE 25, 1885 the Warwick Argustus reported that Warwick to Emu Vale cost of construction was £54,845. The gross earnings of the branch from June 2nd to December 31st amounted to £1,241 16s 9d, leaving the net receipts £94, 4s 3d, equal to 172 per cent on the capital expended in construction, building, &c. It must, however, be remembered that the cost of maintenance was only charged to revenue during a portion of the period dealt with in returns before us.

(Warwick Argustus) DECEMBER 31, 1884 – The number of passenger tickets issued at the different stations was as follows: – Hermitage 110, Swan Creek 1,022, Mount Sturt 299, Yangan 863 and Emu Vale 2,049. These figures we think justify the hope that as soon as the branch is completed to Killarney, and its heavy timber traffic from that district is secured, it will not only pay working expenses but also interest on the money expended in its construction.

(Warwick Argustus) AUGUST 22, 1885 – A Special Train ran on 22nd August 1885 for the opening of the extension as follows: –
Warwick, depart 9.35 a.m.
Killarney, arrive 11.30 a.m.
Killarney, depart 3.40 p.m.
Warwick, arrive 5.20 p.m.

The second section from Emu Vale to Killarney was opened on 24th August 1885. Mr. John Garget was the contractor for both sections. The opening of this line proved to be a great boon to farmers and timber millers alike.

The line had been surveyed to Wrights Hill at South Killarney, but the Government of the day decided that the expense of building and future maintenance of the line across the Condamine River and its flood plain was to great. Because this, the terminus was constructed at North Killarney, some considerable distance from the town. A turntable was installed there (believed to have come from Warwick (Millhill)), so engines could be turned around for the return trip to Warwick.

The decision to terminate the line on the Northern side of the river eventually caused the business center of the town to relocate itself, and the town split into two halves.

The railway brought great prosperity to the town and served the area well for nearly eighty years.

(Warwick Argustus) SATURDAY, MARCH 27, 1886 – Killarney Branch Railway – Due to insufficiency of traffic one of the two trains which now run daily between Warwick and Killarney is to be discontinued, and the timetable to be rearranged.

(Warwick Argustus) SATURDAY, MAY 22, 1886 – Killarney Branch Line – We hear that in consequence of the amount of goods traffic offering on the Killarney line being often beyond the capacity of the engine power, vexatious delays at times occur in getting timber and farm produce to market. Consignors complain also that trucks are not always supplied as promptly as they might be. A Killarney correspondent says the trucks loaded with timber are often left behind at that station, the engine driver saying that he can not take more than 70 tons of goods per day; and our correspondent thinks that this could be obviated without loss if the Traffic Manager would put on an extra train on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

A flood in January 1887 completely destroyed the high-level railway bridge over Emu Creek. Luckily a locomotive was on the Killarney side of the bridge to enable passengers to the shuttled from Killarney to the bridge, and then they had to walk the river to board another train into Warwick. This flood also damaged the Yangan Bridge at Swan Creek.

By MARCH, 1887 the bridge over Swan Creek had been repaired, and trains started to run daily between Emu Vale and Warwick. The work of restoring the Emu Vale bridge was to be pushed on as rapidly as possible, but it was not intended to resume communication with Killarney in the meantime.

(Warwick Argustus) TUESDAY, JUNE 14, 1887 – (WA) – KILLARNEY BRANCH. It is nearly five months since rail communication with Killarney was interrupted by the destruction of the Emu Creek bridge during the flood of January last. Two months after the disaster a sort of “scratch” service was arranged The new bridge is to be ready by the end of the month.

(Warwick Argustus) TUESDAY, JUNE 14, 1887 – (WA) – YANGAN RAILWAY BRIDGE. – There are to be seen in this district some very fine examples of railway engineering. We have tunnels, big cuttings, long timber bridges, stately stone viaducts ; but the greatest curiosity we possess most undoubtedly is an extraordinary structure which spans Swan Creek, just beyond Yangan, on the Killarney branch. It was once a bridge, and is a courtesy so termed even now. It was sadly battered by the flood of January 21, although it has since been in the hands of engineers and maintenance gangs, still being traces of that memorable time in which Science was knocked out by Nature in one round. The piles were knocked out of plum and the superstructure strained. A gang of men with blocks and tackle pulled the pile back to perpendicular, and a pile drawing apparatus was employed for some time smoothing off the inequalities ; but the result, even with the assistance of numerous wedges placed under girders and sleepers, was not a conspicuous success. The track was not only crooked, but is was about as level as a piece of the Downs corduroy country so famous for many things, but chiefly for testing buggy springs. In this condition the bridge was reopened for traffic. The passing trains have since improved the level somewhat, but the structure is still in a very ricketty state. The engineer in charge of course regards it safe for traffic, or the train would not be allowed to cross, but it is significant that the driver never crosses it at a greater speed than four miles an hour ; and the bubbles which encircle each pile as the train passes above are calculated to make passengers feel just a trifle uneasy. It may be all right, but – well we think a new bridge should be erected, or the present one strengthened, with as little delay as possible.

(The Warwick Examiner Newspaper) JANUARY 12, 1910 – Cream supplies from the Killarney line last week amounted to 1788 gallons.

Traffic on the Killarney line last week included; 6127 bags of wheat, 1296 bags of maize, 278 bags of barley, 45 bags of oats, 199 bags of prairie seed, 1578 bags of chaff, 61 cases of fruit, 818 packages of vegetables, 235 bags of potatoes, 22 bales of wool, 429 sheep, 32 cases of eggs, 42,240ft. sawn timber, 210 tons coal, 12 packages of cheese, 31 boxes of butter.



On and after MONDAY, 2nd June, 1884, the following Time Table will come into operation until further notice: –

Stations Noon p.m. Stations a.m. p.m.
Warwick dep 12.0 5.0 Emu Vale dep 7.0 2.30
Killarney Junction 12.5 5.5 Yangan 7.22 2.52
Hermitage 12.27 5.27 Mount Sturt 7.31 3.4
Swan Creek 12.44 5.44 Swan Creek 7.51 3.21
Mount Sturt 1.1 6.1 Hermitage 8.8 3.38
Yangan 1.13 6.13 Killarney Junction 8.28 3.58
Emu Vale arr 1.33 6.33 Warwick arr 8.33 4.3


Stations built on the line

The stations and sidings along the line were:

(Distances are from Warwick)

Location Miles Chains ft above sea level
HERMITAGE: 4 m 66 ch 1575 ft
GLENCAIRN: 6 m 25 ch, 1592 ft.
KARCARUDA: 8 m 21 ch, 1622 ft.
MOUNT STURT: 10 m 1 ch, 1702 ft.
YANGAN: 12 m 48 ch, 1705 ft.
ROCKBRAE: 13 m 76 ch, 1726 ft.
EMU VALE: 16 m 18 ch, 1674 ft.
DANDEROO: 19 m 3 ch, 1658 ft.
WIYARRA: 20 m 24 ch, 1697 ft.
TANNYMOREL: 23 m 7 ch, 1697 ft.
GRAYSONS SIDING: 24 m 13 ch, 1774 ft.
KILLARNEY: 27 m 56 ch, 1697 ft.



Train services and line workings

It was noted in a 1963 working timetable: “In order to reduce cost of maintenance, the maximum speed on this branch is 20 miles per hour, and that only on straight and level pieces of the road, but must be reduced to FIFTEEN miles per hour in daylight and TEN miles per hour at night when the line runs along the main road. The maximum speed of Rail Motors is 25 miles per hour.”

Killarney Junction is now being worked as part of Warwick station yard.

When necessary to dispatch a train from Warwick for Killarney or Maryvale Branches, a porter must proceed by tricycle to Killarney Junction to make the road for the branch line, and the driver, when leaving Warwick, must be in possession of the Warwick-Millhill train staff, which will be collected from the driver on arrival at Killarney Junction and taken back by tricycle to Warwick. Similarly when a train is arriving at Warwick from Killarney or Maryvale Branch a porter must take out the Warwick-Millhill train staff to Killarney Junction, pull off the branch signals to admit the train, hand the driver the Millhill-Warwick train staff, and return to Warwick after replacing the branch signals and making the road for main line traffic.


Mount Colliery Tramway

In 1893 Coal was discovered on the bank of farm Creek near Tannymorel Railway Station.
Following this, in 1896 – William Roach and William Lanigan established Mount Colliery on Hurdle Creek, about 5 km from Tannymorel.

By 1905, Mount Colliery was delivering 12 tonnes of coal per day.

A branch line to the coal mine at Mt. Colliery was constructed from Tannymorel in 1908.This light tramway, used horses hauling coal trucks, until upgraded for steam trains, the first running on 12th June, 1910. The line was closed on 1st May, 1964. Coal was transported by road to Warwick until the mine closed in 1967.


Closure of the line

The branch line from Killarney Junction to Killarney was closed on 1st May 1964.